Friday, August 11, 2006

We're Having A BABY BOY!

Finally, a new blog about my pregnancy … I know the last entry was when I found out that I was positive and now, am on my 3rd trimester, specifically on my 8th month.

A lot has transpired since then … Let me start with my 1st trimester … I entered this pregnancy with hypertension which made me a high-risk case (plus add the fact that I have a history of pre-eclampsia with my 1st pregnancy during the last trimester). Because of this, my OB-GYNE prescribed Aspilet (aspirin) as well as Aldomet (methyldopa). This trimester was different from my previous pregnancy because I felt nauseus and was always tired and sleepy. Back when I was pregnant with Chloe, I did not undergo this stage of “paglilihi”. However, I had some “spotting” then which was why I had to take Duphaston 3x a day. This time around, my OB did not wait for this to recur so she told me to take Duphaston once daily from the beginning.

Speaking of “paglilihi”, this has been the reason why I have been kept away from the computer for some time now. I could not stand being in front of the monitor for long periods of time … I get headaches from this.

When I was about to enter my 2nd trimester, Aldomet was out of stock for months everywhere. I was shifted to Apresoline (hydralazine) which is safe to take during the 2nd trimester onwards. Unfortunately, I was not “hiyang” with the said medication … I had migraine-like headaches, tingling and numbness in my wrists, my blood pressure would rise to 140/90, and I felt sick (like having the flu). I reported this to my OB and she advised me to discontinue taking the medication. She told me to continue with the aspilet and try modifying my diet. Since then, I went on a fish, chicken, veggies and fruits diet. Miraculously, my blood pressure normalized. Even without taking any medication, my blood pressure would range from 110/70 to 130/80 (even until now). This was a good sign … I was happy because it gave me hope … hope of being able to breastfeed after giving birth.

After giving birth to Chloe, my blood pressure did not normalize the way my OB hoped it would so after a few weeks of observation, I had no choice but to take antihypertensives. I had to stop breastfeeding because of this.

This time around, I am determined to keep my blood pressure normal and let this baby reach full term.

When I was about to enter my 5th month, we had an ultrasound to find out the baby’s gender. Unfortunately, it was still too early to say plus the baby’s position made it harder for the sonographer to see. At this point, he said it seems like a girl but he told us to come back next month.

The following month, exactly 6months, we went back and it was confirmed … WE’RE HAVING A BABY BOY! Of course, Mon was so happy and excited to learn about this wonderful news … Now, we have a pair ... 1 girl and 1 boy. The sonographer (Dr. Dy of San Pedro Polyclinic, San Pedro, Laguna), was kind enough not to charge us anymore and even gave us another print out with a picture of the baby’s gender.

Knowing the baby’s gender now, we finalized a name for him … LANCE was the name Mon and I agreed on. We haven’t thought of a second name for him yet at this point …

On my 7th month, I was already big but I felt even better … I could still bring and fetch Chloe to school … doing some household chores was still okay too. However, when I was nearing my 8th month, things changed … I still prepare Chloe for school but Mon has taken over with bringing and fetching her from school. My household chores are now limited as well … Braxton-hicks contractions were more frequent when I do too much which is why I need to go easy on myself at this point.

During my last prenatal check-up, all my lab test results went fine except for my urinalysis. CBC showed all normal … Hepatitis B was negative … OGCT was also normal. My urinalysis showed I had UTI … I was surprised because I did not have any symptoms of UTI … did not feel anything different. MY OB told me that this was a normal occurrence with pregnant women and so she prescribed Ceporex (cefalexin) 500mg 3x a day for 1 week. I am to get a urinalysis after completing the medication and bring it on my next check-up scheduled on the 19th of Aug 2006.

My check-ups are now scheduled every 2 weeks and by September, it’s going to be on a weekly basis.

Since this was going to be a scheduled cesarean section, I was hoping I could give birth on the 8th of September which is Mama Mary’s birthday and since it falls on a Friday, at least Chloe does not have classes the following day. However, my OB said that unless I was already dilated then it would be best that I wait till I reach 38 weeks which is around the 16th of September onwards.


Enough said, will keep you posted on more details after my next pre-natal check up ...

No comments: